[ntp:questions] problem with ntpd refclock and pps via parallel port

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Mon Feb 1 16:03:47 UTC 2010

unruh wrote:
> On 2010-01-31, David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> wrote:
>> problem with ntpd refclock and  pps via parallel port
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> So does pps really need a refclock and/or does pps via
>> parallel work ok or not on NetBSD-5?
>
> Yes. Otherwise it has no idea what the seconds is. Ie, all pps does is
> deliver a pulse at the exact second boundary, but that says nothing
> about which second that is the boundary of. You need some other source
> to give you the seconds.

Sorry, I missed mention of the local ntp peers.

There were three local servers to give time to second, one being
a pool server with radioclock that I was attempting to distribute
pps from via parallel port. Docs I have indicate a server can be
used to get "second" in place of refclock,

I'm now thinking that might still be the case and parallel port
implementation on NetBSD isn't correct. I've not yet had time
to figure out where I'm currently getting my pps from, DCD on
serial, or NACK on lpt0.

I can try again on desktop but now I have present config working
will give that a week to get some reasonable stats.

cheers

David