[ntp:questions] Tutorial for setting up Garmin 18 LVC on FreeBSD 8.0

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Feb 22 14:44:40 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-22, Thomas Laus <lausts at acm.org> wrote:

> On 2010-02-22, ryandoyle <rd at ryandoyle.net> wrote:
>> For anyone interested in setting up a Garmin 18 LVC GPS receiver on
>> FreeBSD 8, I wrote up a fairly detailed tutorial of my experiences
>> here: http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145
>>
>> If there are any comments or errors, please let me know
>>
> My comments are all on your FreeBSD configuration.

The O/P documented how *he* installed NTP and included *his* rationale
for the decisions he made.

TMTOWTDI, of course.

> I believe that the FreeBSD base version of ntp is the same one that
> you installed from the port system. That seemed a little redundant.

Depends on which FreeBSD release you've installed.

> Most admins cringe at the thought of allowing root logins from any
> location other than the local console.

Local policy decision.

> The better advice is to create another user on your BSD computer and
> put them into the 'wheel' group. That user can use SSH from anywhere
> and 'su' to gain root privleges. Better yet, is to install the 'sudo'
> port and that user never needs to know the root password!

In the O/P's case the user setting up NTP is the system admin.

> You don't need to install either bash or vim in order to successfully
> install and operate ntp.

This is a matter of personal preference. He states:

"Coming from a Linux background, I am used to bash. One thing that
annoys me with the default FreeBSD shell csh is that it doesn't list
matches when I double tap tab. I use the feature a lot in bash. There
are a lot of other great shells, but for anyone coming from a Linux
background, bash is the safest."

"Vi is installed with a minimal installation of FreeBSD. Vim is an
improved version of Vi which gives us things like syntax highlighting.
If you prefer other editors such as nano, pico or emacs, following these
same steps should still give you enough information to be able to
install them."

> The default shell on FreeBSD and the vi editor are more than
> sufficient.

True. But the many of us prefer other shells and editors.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>