[ntp:questions] Tutorial for setting up Garmin 18 LVC on FreeBSD 8.0

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Feb 22 16:03:18 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-22, ryandoyle <rd at ryandoyle.net> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 1:03 am, Thomas Laus <lau... at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Configuring the min and max poll for a reference clock sort of goes
>> against the grain of how ntp is supposed to work.  Let the daemon
>> adjust things according to how the clock is performing in relation to
>> the it's other sources of information.  It needs to have the maximum
>> degree of freedom in order to converge on the best solution!
>
> All the sample ntp.conf files had max and mix poll configured, I was
> just following these.

It is very common to set minpoll 4 and maxpoll 4 for GPS ref-clocks
connected the NMEA driver (such as the GPS-18LVC).

I have personally used those minpoll/maxpoll settings for my GPS-18LVC
because they *did* help.

> Should these not be entered?

Use them if they improve the stability of your clock.

YMMV

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>