[ntp:questions] Tutorial for setting up Garmin 18 LVC on FreeBSD 8.0

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Mon Feb 22 16:59:23 UTC 2010

ryandoyle wrote:
> For anyone interested in setting up a Garmin 18 LVC GPS receiver on
> FreeBSD 8, I wrote up a fairly detailed tutorial of my experiences
> here: http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145

Very nice, and quite useful.

> A couple of months ago I thought it would be a neat idea to run a
> strat 1 time server at my work. I hadn't had any experience with NTP
> before, didn't know what local clock drivers were etc... and coming
> from a Linux background I had very little experience with FreeBSD.
> This guide hopefully is useful to someone who wants to setup a strat 1
> time server but isn't sure where to start.
>
> If there are any comments or errors, please let me know

You might consider trying a bleeding edge (dev tree) version of ntpd,
directly from ntp.org, instead of the ports version:

There has been some changes in the NMEA driver which, at least for me,
required a tweak or two of the ntp.conf file.

You'll also need to get rid of the default ntp* executables in order for
the new ones in /usr/local/* to be found.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>