[ntp:questions] Client doesn't drop failed source

Sat Jan 9 06:30:34 UTC 2010

On 1/8/2010 6:34 PM, Michael Moroney wrote:
> BlackLists writes:
>> I suspect you will have to supply your .conf file,
>> or otherwise explain your minclock minsane prefer, ...
>> settings, if you want many useful answers.
>
> Very simple.
>
> driftfile SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP.DRIFT
>
> server 10.136.3.70 prefer
> server 10.136.3.71 prefer
> server 10.98.63.50
> server 10.98.63.150

I mentioned this about a month ago,
 the prefered servers are always included:

<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/prefer.html>
The prefer Peer
"In the prefer scheme the clustering algorithm is modified
   so that the prefer peer is never discarded"

"Ordinarily, the combining algorithm computes a weighted average of
    the survivor offsets to produce the final synchronization source.
   However, if a prefer peer is among the survivors, the combining
    algorithm is not used. Instead, the offset of the prefer peer
       is used exclusively as the final synchronization source."

Mitigation Rules
"As the selection algorithm scans the associations for selectable
   candidates, the modem driver and local driver are segregated
   for later, but only if not designated a prefer peer.  If so
   designated, a driver is included among the candidate population."

"If the prefer peer is among the survivors, it becomes the system
   peer and its clock offset and jitter are inherited by the
   corresponding system variables. Otherwise, the combining
   algorithm computes these variables from the survivor population."

The minsane Option
"The minsane option specifies the minimum number of survivors
   required to synchronized the system clock."

<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html>
minsane
"minsane Specify the number of servers used by the selection
   algorithm as the minimum to set the system clock.
  The default is 1 for legacy purposes; however, for critical
   applications the value should be somewhat higher but less
   than minclock."

  will be added to the BlackLists.