[ntp:questions] Timekeeping broken on Windows XP with multimedia timer enabled (-M option)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Wed Jan 20 17:48:28 UTC 2010

Alan,

I hope you get this fixed.  Here's what you can get with XP with the MM
timer enabled:

Windows XP LAN-synched to a stratum-1 server, 32s poll for local servers,
1024s poll for Internet backup servers:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/narvik_ntp-b.html

Windows XP acting as a stratum-1 server:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/feenix_ntp_2.html

Both PCs running  "ntpd 4.2.6-o Dec 09 11:48:30.27 (UTC-00:00) 2009 (1)"
from Dave Hart's site.  Both PCs have Intel, not AMD processors.  Note the
reduced offset on the monthly graphs in week 1 and week 2 - it was so cold
here we kept the heating on 24 hours a day.  PC Narvik has been rebooted
about three times since the middle of week 2, hence the three positive
transients.

On PC Narvik, Services Manager, Path to executable is:

  C:\Program Files\NTP\bin\ntpd.exe -M -g -c "C:\Program
Files\NTP\etc\ntp.conf"

Now you happen to mention processors, I realise that the PC where the
timekeeping is poor with the more recent versions of NTP (i.e. 4.2.5 and
later) both have AMD processors.  Maybe a coincidence?

Cheers,
David