[ntp:questions] Timekeeping broken on Windows XP with multimedia timer enabled (-M option)

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Jan 30 21:16:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, David J Taylor wrote:

> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:YeedncqVudBjKcDWnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d at giganews.com...
> []
>> I think that that the closest you can come "off the shelf" would be a
>> Laptop.  You are not likely to find one in that price range.
>
> I'm not happy about leaving a laptop on 24 hours a day, in any case.

We do it routinely.  Laptops are very commonly used to control
instruments and log data on oceanographic vessels.  One benefit
is that they are immume to the usual power glitches.

There is already an ample supply of netbooks with broken screens.

<http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee> gives the status of freeBSD on the
EeePC.  What I'm not sure about is the long-term supply of replacement
batteries.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3 at acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6