[ntp:questions] Timekeeping broken on Windows XP with multimedia timer enabled (-M option)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Sun Jan 31 15:36:04 UTC 2010

"George White" <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:Pine.GSO.4.64.1001301646190.3386 at halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
[]
>> I'm not happy about leaving a laptop on 24 hours a day, in any case.
>
> We do it routinely.  Laptops are very commonly used to control
> instruments and log data on oceanographic vessels.  One benefit
> is that they are immume to the usual power glitches.

Thanks for that, George.  The one time I left a laptop on doing something
the HD didn't work the next day.  Ever since then I have equated laptop
and fragile.  Of course, in this case you might not even need an HD.

> There is already an ample supply of netbooks with broken screens.
>
> <http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee> gives the status of freeBSD on the
> EeePC.  What I'm not sure about is the long-term supply of replacement
> batteries.

Again, batteries wouldn't matter here.  But I think it's the router-like
form factor I would prefer, and a serial port is essential.

Thanks for the information, though.

Cheers,
David