[ntp:questions] ntp configuration and restrict issue

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Mon Jun 14 11:17:42 UTC 2010

Hello list,

I have already setuo a few ntp servers on suse box. All are running
well. This time I have set a ntp on debian box ( squeeze) and ntp
version is  1:4.2.4p4+dfsg-8

But when debuggibg "ntpq -p" reports

` ` ` `
localhost: timed out, nothing received
***Request timed out
` ` ` `

It only works with

restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap

But do I really need it on that machine with local host ? At least it was not required before. Could any on give me a clue ?

Here is my ntp.conf for this debian box

``````````````````
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

# Enable this if you want statistics to be logged.
#statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

server 0.asia.pool.ntp.org
server 1.asia.pool.ntp.org

restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap

# don't allow any machine to acess this ntp
restrict default ignore
#
# # But allow access from the time server
#
restrict 0.asia.pool.ntp.org  notrap noquery
restrict 1.asia.pool.ntp.org  notrap noquery

Thanks