[ntp:questions] Intel Atom systems as GPS/PPS stratum-1 servers

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Mar 8 02:14:03 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-07, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"> wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Does anyone have any experience with Intel Atom systems as stratum-1
>> servers from a serial GPS/PPS source? Perhaps using FreeBSD. Is there
>> anything fundamental in these processors or their chipsets which
>> prevents full-precision performance being obtained? Any chipsets to avoid?
>
> I haven't seen any of those tiny Atom systems (like an Asus Eee Box)
> with a serial port?

Take a look at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101262&cm_re=atom_server-_-16-101-262-_-Product

SUPERMICRO SYS-5015A-H 1U Barebone Server Intel 945GC Intel Atom 330
Dual-Core 1.6GHz processor - Retail

Model
Brand 	SUPERMICRO
Model 	SYS-5015A-H
CPU Supported
CPU Type 	Intel Atom 330 Dual-Core 1.6GHz processor
Chipset
North Bridge 	Intel 945GC
South Bridge 	ICH7R
Memory Supported
Memory Slots 	2 x 240Pin
Max Memory Supported 	2GB
Memory Type Supported 	DDRII 533/400
Channel Supported 	Dual Channel
Storage
ATA 	1x ATA 33/66/100
Serial ATA 	4 x SATA 300
SATA RAID 	RAID 0/1/5/10
Graphics
GPU/VPU 	GMA950
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 	1x PCI Express x8
Communications
First LAN 	Realtek RTL8111C-GR
Second LAN 	Realtek RTL8111C-GR
Max. LAN Speed 	10/100/1000Mbps
Extension Bays
3.5" Bays 	1 x 3.5" Internal Drive Bay (Standard)
OR 2 x 2.5" Internal Drive (Optional)
OR 1 x 2.5" Internal Drive (Optional)
Panel Ports
COM 	1
PS/2 	2
VGA 	1
Rear USB 	2
RJ45 	2
Power Supply
Max. Power 	200W Low Noise AC-DC power supply with PFC
Physical SPEC
Form Factor 	1U
Dimensions 	17.2" x 9.8" x 1.7"
Weight 	10 lbs.