[ntp:questions] server failover

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Mar 15 20:49:32 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-11, James, Neil <Neil.James at gdcanada.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a network of devices that will spend time both with and without a
> reliable time source. I have designated one as a server. The ntp.conf
> is,
>
> pidfile         /var/run/ntpd.pid
> driftfile       /var/db/ntp.drift
> tos minsane 1 minclock 1
> disable auth
> tos orphan 10
> server 10.0.1.20
> manycastserver 224.1.1.1
>
> The other devices have an ntp.conf file of,
>
> pidfile         /var/run/ntpd.pid
> driftfile       /var/db/ntp.drift
> tos minsane 1 minclock 1
> tos orphan 10
> disable auth
> manycastclient 224.1.1.1
>
> Everything works fine when the external server is present. When I kill
> ntp on the external server the device configured as a manycastserver
> refuses to  believe that 10.0.1.20 is no longer responding

I'm not sure why you're using those 'tos minsane 1 minclock 1' lines. I
use Orphan Mode extensively and fail over works perfectly without
changing minsane or minclock.

Have you tried commenting those lines out?

You may want to upgrade to the current NTP stable release. Orphan Mode
servers on some older releases are not usable for extended periods
without a real time source.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>