[ntp:questions] Quick sync between two computers not connected to the internet

Rob nomail at example.com
Fri Mar 19 17:34:01 UTC 2010

Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> The easiest thing to do if you can site an antenna where it will have an
>   unobstructed view of the sky, is to purchase a "hardware reference
> clock".  The cheapest goes for about $100 US.  It's called a GPS18-LVC
> if memory serves me.  If my memory fails me I'm sure someone will be
> delighted to point it out!  ;-)

A reference clock is completely unnecessary for what he wants to do,
let alone a view of the sky.

One computer can be synced to the other, and the objective has been
achieved.

I am not sure if Windows XP can act as an NTP time server without install
of ntpd.  It can act as a client with no problem.
Maybe ntpd has to be installed on one PC (with LOCAL as the reference
clock) and then the other can either use the w32time standard NTP service
or ntpd can be installed on the second PC as well.