[ntp:questions] NTPv4 Peer Event Codes - secret decoder ring sought

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 21:43:51 UTC 2010

On Mar 19, 20:47 UTC, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> First the question:  The Code field of the Peer Status Word is 4 bits wide, and
> yet codes are defined for values from 1 to 10 hex (decimal 16), which doesn't
> quite map.  How does the code value fit into the field?  Wraparound, so 10 (TAI)
> becomes zero?

Looking at the ntp-dev code, there are only two references to
PEVNT_TAI:

#define	PEVNT_TAI	(16 | PEER_EVENT) /* TAI */
	{ PEVNT_TAI & ~PEER_EVENT,	"TAI" },

So your point is well taken, the value doesn't fit in the peer status
word, but in fact it is defined but not used as far as I can see,
arguing for its removal.  Dr. Mills may be able to shed more light.

Cheers,
Dave Hart