[ntp:questions] Quick sync between two computers not connected to the internet

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Mar 20 09:10:38 UTC 2010

"cnoyes2" <cnoyes2 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5c674c2c-1bfc-48c9-88a2-816a32c92dd2 at 19g2000yqu.googlegroups.com...
> I'm trying to sync the time on 2 Windows XP computers that are not on
> the internet and never will be. For testing purposes, they need to
> have the same time. The time does not need to be accurate. What's the
> simplest way to sync these computers?
>
> I've done a lot of searching, but can't seem to find much about
> computers not attached to the internet.
>
> I've tried net time \\computer_ip /set /yes, but I get an access
> denied error.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Just some suggestions....  Install NTP on both computers:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html
  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

Choose one as a reference, and be sure that the ntp.conf includes the
"local-clock" option.  So on the master ntp.conf:

______________________________
server  127.127.1.0  # local clock
______________________________

Set the other to sync from the first, and tie it as closely as possible by
using the minpoll and maxpoll parameters.  In ntp.conf on the slave, use
something like:

server  <master-ip>  iburst  minpoll 4 maxpoll 4

See if that works well enough for you.  There is something called orphan
mode which is designed for circumstances like yours, but I haven't used it
myself.

Cheers,
David