[ntp:questions] NTPD fails to update a loopstats file on a regular schedule.

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 02:57:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 23:56 UTC, Edward T. Mischanko
<etm1962 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What your saying makes perfect sense, but it doesn't seem to work that way
> on this Windows XP machine.  I would expect it to write to the loopstats
> with every poll at a minimum and it doesn't.

Your expectation is flawed.  From
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/monopt.html#filegen

loopstats
Record clock discipline loop statistics. Each system clock update
appends one line to the loopstats file set:
50935 75440.031 0.000006019 13.778 0.000351733 0.013380 6

In this context, system clock update does not refer to once-per-second
loopfilter trimming of the system clock rate.  Rather, it's once per
change to the offset= reported by ntpq -crv.  Thanks to the 8-deep
clock filter, that can be as infrequent as every 8 polls.

Cheers,
Dave Hart