[ntp:questions] systems won't synchronize no matter what

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 29 16:07:24 UTC 2010

On 10/29/2010 2:46 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> I had much better luck with the ntp documentation that comes with
>> FreeBSD:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ntp.conf&sektion=5
> []
>> --
>> Florin Andrei
>> http://florin.myip.org/
>
> Thanks for the pointer, Florin. I'll bookmark that! It looks very
> comprehensive, and yet not a single example of a working minimum
> ntp.conf file is given.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Its not rocket science!

server time.mumble.com
server teaparty.org
server ....
server ....

Select four, five, or seven public NTP servers (or private servers to
which you have access) and list them in your ntp.conf file in the format
illustrated above.  Ideally, the servers should be near to you in "net
space"; e.g. they should have short round trip times.

Anything more is largely window dressing!  If you deviate from this
simple format, you should know what you are doing and why.