[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.6p3 multicast server not visible in orphan peer to peer mode?

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists Null at BlackList.Griffin-Technologies.invalid
Wed Apr 6 03:30:46 UTC 2011

On 4/5/2011 5:27 PM, Wu, Bailey wrote:
 > My setting for clients and server are very similar to
 >  those below. but the HPUX clients seem to only see two
 >  servers at a time (instead of 4 as would be expected).
 > I'm also noticing that some solaris clients are not able
 >  to ntpdate to the servers.
 > Here's my ntp config files.
 > Server1 ------------------------
 > tinker stepout 192
 > broadcast 224.0.1.1 ttl 4
 > driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
 > tos orphan 3
 >
 > Server2 -----------------------
 > tinker stepout 192
 > broadcast 224.0.1.1 ttl 4
 > driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
 > tos orphan 3
 > server Server1 true maxpoll 6 iburst
 >
 > HPUX1 (This client only sees 2 Server2 sources
 >  and nothing from Server1, this client runs ntp 3.5f)
 > ------------------------
 > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
 > manycastclient 224.0.1.1
 >
 > HPUX2 (This client only sees 2 Server2 sources
 >  and nothing from Server1, this client runs ntp 3.5f)
 > ------------------------
 > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
 > manycastclient 224.0.1.1
 >
 > Solaris1 (this client cannot ntpdate to Server1,
 >  Server2 is rejected as a source, ntpq flash=800 peer_loop)
 > ------------------------
 > server Server1 true iburst maxpoll 6
 > server Server2 true iburst maxpoll 6
 > driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
 >
 > there are a few other solaris clients with
 >  the same config files and same problems.
 >
 > I originally had the following restrict options for the servers:
 > restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify noquery
 > restrict<interface1>  mask<mask1>
 > restrict<interface2>  mask<mask2>
 > restrict 127.0.0.1
 > restrict ::1
 >
 > I removed those restrict option because I though ntpd would
 >  then just default to allow everything.
 > Can anyone explain why I'm seeing the problems with these config files??

I see broadcast servers, but no broadcast clients?

I see manycast clients, but no manycast servers?

I'm uncertain about one that old, however I think more recent NTP
  would either need to be run with ntpd -A or disable auth in the conf
  if you don't want to use unauthenticated broadcast / multicast
  / manycast servers?

--
E-Mail Sent to this address <BlackList at Griffin-Technologies.net>
  will be added to the BlackLists.