[ntp:questions] Sure GPS: Programming it now works

Uwe Klein uwe at klein-habertwedt.de
Sat Apr 9 08:38:08 UTC 2011

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>>( OT: I had looked into GPS attitude "compass" devices
>> for a potential customer.
>> first seen usage some years ago by Armadillo Aerospace
>> for attitude control exorbitantly expensive 5..10k€.
>> I'd like to have a cheap dual antenna device )
>

> GPS for attitude ?
>
> A GPS with an electronic compass could give you a heading,
>   (even while not moving).  As opposed to just a GPS track,
>   which doesn't take orientation into consideration
>    {e.g. moving north while facing west}.
>
>  However for attitude, I would think accelerometers,
>   or a gyroscope, would be necessary for six degrees of freedom,
>   (perhaps in addition to a magnetoresistive sensor).
>    {e.g. upside down, moving north while facing west}.
gyro is fast but has drift with time ,
accell is fast but has drift over time ( for distance )
and is dependent on .. accelleration and motion

so you  should set up a Kalman Filter for all input.

With two antenna you get all attitude axii except
the "antennae intersecting" axis.
With three all is resolved.
The septentrio system gives max 10Hz update afair.

uwe