[ntp:questions] Receiving a message with imsg type - 15

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 25 15:00:47 UTC 2011

On 2011-08-25, <adline.dsilva at wipro.com> <adline.dsilva at wipro.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>        I'm new to NTP. Currently I'm facing an issue where, during
> shutdown my client application is receiving a message from ntp demon
> with message type 15. Since this is an unexpected message type, my
> application crashes. Not always ntpd sends this message. Chances of

Your application should never crash just because it receives an
unexpected message. Bad coding. Youshould always have a fall back which
if necessary emits an error message and cleanly shuts down.

I have not idea what "message" this is. I can find no reference to
imsg_type anywhere in the source for ntpd nor in /usr/include on Linux.

As a newbie it helps to remember that the people on this (or anyotehr
newsgroup) are not mindreaders, and need as much info about your system
as possible. They have no idea if you are running Linux, bsd, CPM or
your own homebrew OS. They have no idea how you have set it up, or what
you are talking about unless you tell them.

> getting a message are once or twice out of 20-25 trys. Can anyone help
> why I'm receiving a ntp message with message type 15?

What "ntp message"? How are you receiving that message?