[ntp:questions] ntpdate removal is coming

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:12:45 UTC 2011

Il 07/12/2011 16:24, Steve Kostecke ha scritto:
>> Not sure, but I never really tried -g. Would -g set the clock
>> > instantly even with a multicast client configuration in ntp.conf?
> Why don't you try it?

Yes, I should

>> > And, by the way, what about ntpdate -q? I don't seem to find anything
>> > in ntpd to mimic that...
> ntpq -c"rv 0 offset"

That's not ntpd, and it requires an ntpd running on the node. ntpdate -q
doesn't require you to have ntpd running on the node.

Plus, doesn't that give you the latest calculated offset from the
current sys.peer, which could be different from the _current_ offset?

If I have a machine and I want to know the offset it has _now_,
independently of the fact it has an ntpd running, how do I do that
without ntpdate?

Ciao
-- M