[ntp:questions] New ntp Server

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Dec 8 15:20:07 UTC 2011

> They are milliseconds. If ntpd on Windows can really keep the clock
> stable to to ~10 microseconds, the recent suggestion posted here to
> never use Windows for serious timekeeping might need to be revisited.
>
> --
> Miroslav Lichvar

Here's what I see on my Windows PCs:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

PCs Feenix, Stamsund, Alta and Bacchus have PPS sources.  For the best one
(Feenix, which runs XP), I would only claim "a couple of hundred
microseconds".  The PC Pixie at the top of that page is an Intel Atom
system running FreeBSD 8.0.

For many purposes, with one millisecond is quite adequate, for other
purpose, it's not.

Cheers,
David