[ntp:questions] Configure FreeBSD or Linux to use stepping clock?

David Malone dwmalone at walton.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Dec 17 17:57:13 UTC 2011

Dave Hart <hart at ntp.org> writes:

>I did a bit of searching but of course this is an odd request:  "help
>me degrade the precision of my system clock, please" hasn't come up
>much.  If you have any suggestions, please speak up here, or privately
>if you prefer.

On FreeBSD you could try selecting the "dummy" timecounter.
I think this will produce a counter that steps in a rather
clunky way. Something like:

	sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware=dummy

should probably work. (Running "sysctl kern.timecounter" will
output various information about the available timecounters.)

	David.