[ntp:questions] ntpdate removal is coming

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Dec 20 05:20:39 UTC 2011

On 2011-12-20, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2011-12-19, Chad.Farmer at Bull.com <Chad.Farmer at Bull.com> wrote:
>
>>ATTRIBUTION MISSING said:
>>
>>>you are using an old version of ntp.
>>
>> Yes, I'm using RHEL5.3 (ntp-4.2.2p1-9.el5) and in the process of moving to
>> RHEL5.7 (ntp-4.2.2p1-15.el5).  For this thread I would rather not get into
>> all that.
>
> It is very likely that the current stable version of NTP may work better
> for you. So this is a rather important issue.

Mills put in a fair amount of work into getting ntpd to converge faster
on startup after ntp got a lot of complaining about how slow it was to
get to a reasonable time at startup. That all occured after 4.2.4 So, if
you want to take advantage of that, you need a more recent ntpd.
I am shocked that RHEL5.7 uses 4.2.2 That is really ancient.