[ntp:questions] still not able to get NTP to sync on windows 7 even w/ more updated binaries

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 19:53:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Gautam Thaker <ghthaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, though NTP is running and the "offset" values on my win7-32
> box are quite horrible. (i should note that on same subnet using same
> time server a fedora12 box achieves sub 1msec offset easily and stays
> there. )

One thing to do is verify that the the graph of offset values really
does represent the offset of your PC's system clock.  In other words
"is the graph correct?"

Clearly something is wrong and it's a false assumption to assume
everything is working when you know there must be a problem.    try an
experiment and make the Win 7 ntpd a peer of the Linux ntpd.  See what
ntpq run under Linux says about the ntpd in the Win 7 box.  make sure
the Linux ntps has at least three pool servers so it can apply the
clock select algorithm and be able to identify the Win 7 as a
"falseticker".  This should, I think, prove the problem is real.

Next, assuming the graph is is correct I notice the offset is
quantized to only a few few different values.    This should be a
strong clue.  Seems to me the only way this quantization could happen
is if the system clock where being jumped.  I'd think that if the
clock's rate was being modulated then we'd see many different values
of delay.

--
=====
Chris Albertson