[ntp:questions] still not able to get NTP to sync on windows 7 even w/ more updated binaries

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 10:44:25 UTC 2011

http://bugs.ntp.org/1189

> but no-one seems to know what changed, and it appears
> that the source code for that particular version is either no
> longer available, or that so many changes were made that
> determining which was responsible for the performance
> change cannot be ascertained.  I forget which.  So I treasure
> my copy of:
>
>  ntpd 4.2.4p6 at DLH-QPC-o May 30 3:58:32.88 (UTC) 2009 (273)
>
> It was from Dave Hart, in a file named:
> ntpd-QPC-20090614-0900.zip, which I can no longer find on
> his Web site.  If you want a copy to try out, I have one, if Dave Hart
> can't help.

It's there, but in a drop directory that is intentionally unbrowsable:

http://davehart.net/moo/ntpd-QPC-20090614-0900.zip

That represents the last in a series of 4.2.4p6-based private releases
of mine.  I originally developed the rewritten ntpd interpolation for
Windows on this version of ntpd, but those changes were not integrated
into the reference implementation until 4.2.5p162.  At that point, my
interest in maintaining the private 4.2.4-based releases went way
down, as 4.2.4 code had forked from ntp-dev at the end of 2006, and
there had been a major cleanup pass on the ntpd source in the summer
of 2007 which made porting changes between 4.2.4 and 4.2.6 nontrivial.
 Aside from David J Taylor, a few friends of his, and myself, everyone
using the new interpolation code on Windows has used 4.2.5p162 or
later.

Cheers,
Dave Hart