[ntp:questions] NTP client with ability to write Windows NT system time to hardware clock?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Jan 5 16:41:03 UTC 2011

David,

David J Taylor wrote:
>> In fact I've heard of *nobody* except you, me, Danny, and Terje building
>> ntpd on Windows ;-)
> []
>> Regards,
>>
>> Martin
>
> Martin,
>
> I did attempt to do this with considerable help from the folk here, and I
> think I even got as far as set of executables once, but as I'm not a C/C++
> person, the effort involved was considerable, and I still had many
> "warning" messages (and I want to see no error or warning messages when I
> compile my own software).

Unfortunately there *are* quite some warning messages. However, looks like
the number of warnings has been significantly reduced in the current gode,
which I appreciate very much.

> That was with VS2005, and I don't think that even runs under the Windows-7
> I'll have on my next PC.  Could try the XP for WIndows-7, I suppose.

For Windows you do not need to compile with the latest version of the
compiler under the same version of the OS as you are going to run the
binary on.

The 4.2.4p8 version we are still offering for download has been built with
VC6 and basically runs on all Windows versions from NT up to Win 7 and
Server 2k8.

The only problem with the old VC6 build environments is that the header
files are missing e.g. definitions of data structures required to have IPv6
support. This is only available with newer compiler versions.

On the other hand, without quite some effort in the source code binaries
built with newer compilers may not run on older Windows versions like NT
and 2k anymore. That's why I've suggested to provide several installers in
the future, a legacy 32 bit version built with VC6, a fullfeatured 32 bit
version and a native x64 version built with a newer compiler.

> There is a free Borland C/C++ compiler for Windows, but I don't know what
> effort might be required to port to that version, or whether it will run
> under Windows-7.
>
>   http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/20633

Quite some time ago I've made some efforts to build the NTP package under
Borland C/C++ 5. However, the required changes and the project file have
never made it into the NTP code base. So it would require quite some effort
to build the package under a build environment which is not currently
supported.

On the other hand, MS Visual Studio 2008 Express has been available as a fre
download (don't know if it's still, yet, or if ther is a newer version
available for free), so anyone who has installed this compiler could build
NTP under Windows.

> I realise that my efforts don't qualify as "building ntp under Windows",
> but I did try!

Usually it should be sufficient to unback the source code, open the
appropriate project file for the compiler you have, and rebuild all
targets.

Regards,

Martin
--