[ntp:questions] ntp-4.2.6p3-1.el5 - minpoll & local PPS source

Q .. at ..
Sun Jan 30 19:11:07 UTC 2011

Having looked through some ntp doc's and lots of websites I'm a bit confused
as to what I 'should' do.

My local PPS source is set for 'minpoll 4' (16 sec) this has had the knock
on effect that the other network based servers have all decided to poll at
64sec intervals.

Most of the web sites I've read say I should leave the 'minpoll 4' statement
for the PPS source, but the ntp docs talk about a bug being fixed with the
SHM driver and that you need not set 'minpoll 4' for local PPS sources.

Could anyone please let me know what I 'should' do.

Extract of config file:

#GPS TIME SOURCE
server 127.127.28.0 mode 1
fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.62 refid GPS