[ntp:questions] Controlling the combine algorithm

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Jul 4 21:56:21 UTC 2011

Steve,

There is something wrong with the nomenclature in your message. By
definition, the number of survivors is the number remaining after the
cluster algorithm has completedd. This number is three by default, but
can be changed using the minclock option. To reduce the numb er of
survivors below three is generally a bad idea, but as I said, the option
is available.

I don't understand what you mean by "it doesn't work". The maxclock
option does not do what you want. It is intended for automatic
configuration, where it specifies the maximum number of servers
remaining after the preempt phase. For configured associations, this
number is irrelevant.

Dave