[ntp:questions] Meinberg software running under Vista/Windows 2008

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Thu Jul 7 08:53:32 UTC 2011

Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Chris Albertson wrote:
>> If you are really worried about loosing track of true UTC time then
>> buy a GPS receiver or if you are very concerned by three of them from
>> three different manufacturers Having multiple GPSes that do not share
>> common parts is nearly fool proof. These would serve a reference
>> clocks for three NTP servers. Doing this is not quite as "nuts" as
>> it sounds. I bet you could set up all three for under $1K if you
>> used existing computers
>
> Using Garmin 18 and SURE for two of those will leave you nearly $900 for
> the last clock, so that is obviously doable. :-)
>
> If you pick up a Motorola Oncore UT+ as the last clock you'll have a
> proven extremely good reference (15-25 ns RMS offset from true UTC?) and
> still end up with maybe $800 in your pocket.

PS. In my current company (a large IT host/consulting/etc company in
Scandinavia) we are simply setting up one GPS and/or radio-based stratum
1 server in each physical location (8+), then a group of S2 servers
which get their time from all of the S1 servers.

We need to do it this way because we have signed contracts with some
customers that require us to use a dedicated set of servers for them,
including DNS and NTP, so they will have a private set of S2 servers.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>