[ntp:questions] GPS Stratum 1 and PPS

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:12:45 UTC 2011

Forgive me for this "drive-by" response as I crawl into bed.  I'll
leave it to others to respond to your questions, I just wanted to
offer a pair of suggestions:

You have two servers with PPS physically close to each other.  Monitor
each with the other:

server the.other.local.PPS iburst noselect

noselect will make these monitoring-only assocations, they will never
be contributors to disciplining the clock.  ntpd can continually
monitor for you to sample anytime using ntpq -p.

If your global IP addresses change very rarely, consider joining your
machines to the pool:  http://www.pool.ntp.org/

Thanks to those who actually answer Miguel's questions,
Dave Hart