[ntp:questions] Flash 400 on all peers; can't get ntpd to be happy

Wed Mar 9 22:40:54 UTC 2011

Ralph wrote:
> Maybe I deserve that flame for having ranted a bit, but
> I hardly think the problem of clock time that won't behave
> within a linux guest VM is 'unique'.  Do a google search
> on it, I'm clearly not the only one with this problem.

> And if they gave a flying flip about the many different
>  flavor of linux, I'm sure the world would be a better place.
>  But in the meantime, since I'm not running one of the very
>  few flavors that they actually support, I have to find
>  other solutions.

Here are some links I've run across in the past related
 to VMware & NTP.  You'll likely need to look at the support
 files for your version of VMware.

Xen, VMware, and Other Virtual Machine Implementations
<http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/KnownOsIssues#Section_9.2.2.>

13.6. VMware and NTP
<http://psp2.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/VMWareNTP>

9.2.2.1. VMware
<http://psp2.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/KnownOsIssues#Section_9.2.2.1.>

<http://www.xen.org/files/XenCloud/guest.pdf>
<BlockQuote>
Time handling in Linux VMs
 To set individual Linux VMs to maintain independent times
  changing the /etc/sysctl.conf configuration file and adding:
   # Set independent wall clock time
   xen.independent_wallclock=1
</BlockQuote>

FreeBSD machdep.independent_wallclock instead of en.independent_wallclock ?

  will be added to the BlackLists.