[ntp:questions] new driver development

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 03:16:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 01:44 UTC, Bruce Lilly <bruce.lilly at gmail.com> wrote:
> 4. Assuming specific sizes for an integer is a really bad idea...
> "(64 bits making up the) clockTimeStamp* and receiveTimeStamp* fields"

Actually nailing down the sizes of objects is a really good idea when
sharing binary structures across separately-compiled programs.  We
cannot presume the same compiler and options build ntpd and anything
that attempts to share memory with it.  We need not (and should not)
worry about endianness for a shared memory contract, though.

Thanks for playing,
Dave Hart