[ntp:questions] Good ntp.conf for a public server?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed May 11 20:34:52 UTC 2011

On 5/10/2011 1:46 PM, Jim Kusznir wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm setting up an NTP server with a GPS-PPS hardware clock, and I am
> wondering what settings are "recommended".
>
> My time server is currently accessible at:
>
> time.eecs.wsu.edu
>
> Its a P4-2.4Ghz using the shm driver pulling a PPS feed from a SEL
> 2407 GPS clock.
>
> I'm mostly concerned about correct permissions and any multicast or
> other options I should turn on (or off) for public use.
>
> I'm also curious about what the expected load and its effect on
> accuracy for a public pool server.
>
> Thanks!
> --Jim

I'd strongly suggest NOT using broadcast or multicast!  If you receive
an NTP query, respond with the correct time.

You might announce the availability of your server by posting the
details here.  NTP.ORG maintains lists publicly available stratum 1 and
stratum 2 servers.  You might want to ask the your server be listed.

You should probably check the fine print in your contract with your
internet service provider.  Some providers prohibit their subscribers
from operating a server!