[ntp:questions] Ntp not syncing after powerfail of server

M. Giertzsch mgiertzsch at mobotix.com
Thu May 19 17:01:42 UTC 2011

Am 18.05.2011 11:57, schrieb M. Giertzsch:
> Hello together,
>
> I want to synchronise a local network and there is no uplink to the
> outside world.
> So I have one dedicated ntp server and all other devices are client of
> this server.
> Now if there is a powerfail, there is no guarantee that the server has
> finished the boot
> before the clients have. In this case the time will not be synced.
>
> Is anybody aware of options taking account to this? Does anyone know
> threads
> or howtos for further reading? Am I doing a mistake or do I have my
> clients missconfigured?

Hello again (and sorry for the flood of posts),

in order to unconfuse myself I have done a new and easier setup of my
problem.
Now I have only got one server and one client.

The servers configuration is:
   restrict default notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
   restrict 127.0.0.1
   driftfile /var/status/ntp.drift
   pidfile /var/run/ntpd.pid
   server 127.127.1.1
   fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 7

The clients configuration is:
   restrict default notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
   restrict 127.0.0.1
   driftfile /var/status/ntp.drift
   pidfile /var/run/ntpd.pid
   server 10.9.94.165 iburst
   server 127.127.1.1
   fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 13

To run into the problem that the client is not syncing to the server I
--> stopped the NTP service on both client and server
--> changed the time on the client back to january of 1975
--> started the NTP service on the client
--> started the NTP service on the server a little later

Hope that clarifies the situation...

--
Best regards,
    M. Giertzsch