[ntp:questions] Ntp not syncing after powerfail of server

Rob nomail at example.com
Thu May 19 18:01:05 UTC 2011

M. Giertzsch <mgiertzsch at mobotix.com> wrote:
> To run into the problem that the client is not syncing to the server I
> --> stopped the NTP service on both client and server
> --> changed the time on the client back to january of 1975
> --> started the NTP service on the client
> --> started the NTP service on the server a little later

That is something that NTP is not going to be able to survive!

It will not make the correction from 1975 to today except when it is
told to do so on startup.  When your server is not available on startup,
you are out of luck.

Of course with "normal" conditions, e.g. a powerfail bringing down
everything and clients booting a bit faster than the server, it will
work just fine because the client is still within the acceptable time
difference.