[ntp:questions] "ntpd[7602]: synchronized to"

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu May 26 22:42:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 19:56 UTC, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> I wish there was a way to "bind" several clients together. You know, tell
> them to make "group decisions" when following / unfollowing any servers -
> "y'all either follow the same server(s), or peer with each other when all
> servers are offline, but do it _all_together_". This would be very useful
> for a cluster.

Hi Florin,

Given that requirement, I'd be tempted to use a single upstream server
for all cluster members, plus orphan mode.  That way, they all march
to the same beat, either the upstream server, or the elected orphan
parent if the upstream is unavailable.

That has a SPOF in terms of tracking correct time, but should keep
them mutually synced regardless.

Cheers,
Dave Hart