[ntp:questions] orphan mode and layered redundancy

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu May 26 23:40:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 22:04 UTC, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> It is unclear to me whether "tos orphan N" needs to have different values
> between NTP servers and cluster members. I assumed it needs to be higher for
> cluster members.

Only cluster members need orphan mode (for when the upstream server(s)
are unreachable).  They must all use the same orphan stratum for
orphan mode to work between them -- ntpd recognizes a source as
operating as a potential orphan parent by its stratum.

> Do I have to add "tos cohort 1" anywhere? Or would the "peer" commands take
> care of everything?

Orphan mode will become effective only when all non-orphan sources are
not selectable.  In that case, you don't need "tos cohort 1" to allow
you to consider peers at the same stratum as potential sources -- you
won't be operating at the same stratum once the upstream sources are
not selectable.

Cheers,
Dave Hart