[ntp:questions] enable calibrate?

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Tue Nov 15 21:07:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 18:17, unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2011-11-15, Dave Hart <hart at ntp.org> wrote:
>> The earliest http://doc.ntp.org/ snapshot referencing "enable calibrate" is:
>>
>> http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.0/miscopt.htm
>
> And the http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.0/refclock.htm under Driver Calibration.

Thank you, I'm ashamed I missed that.  I did look at that page
briefly, and I overlooked what I was searching for.  I was looking to
see if the information was in a similar place to where it is in
ntp-dev's refclock.html -- right before the list of drivers.  The
intervening Performance Enhancements section was enough to foil my
hasty check.

>> That page has a better description of the general idea than either
>> miscopt.html or refclock.html in the current documentation.  4.1.0's
>> diff (not tarball) was cut 1-Aug-2001.

And http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.0/refclock.htm has a _much_ better
description than what's in ntp-dev now.  It seems to me both pages'
calibration content should be placed in ntp-dev's documentation, and
the code should be changed to allow calibration to other than ATOM.
Thanks again for catching my oversight.

Cheers,
Dave Hart