[ntp:questions] Running ntpd with 1 PPS precision signal only

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 18:09:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:51 AM, alexandros kampolis
> The question is: can i use the GPS receiver configuration but replace
> the receiver with a precision 1 PPS source?....
>
> I'm asking this because i do not know if ntpd requires both the NMEA
> messages and the 1 PPS pulses to work correct (or to work at all).

Yes it will work just fine.   Except that you will need to fugure out twothings

1) what keeps your quartz oscillator on track?  All of them have long
term drift.  How will you track and correct the drift? 2) you will
need a reference clock in addition to the PPS that can "number the
seconds"  NMEA can do that but also so can internet pool servers.
Pool servers with a local PPS can work.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California