[ntp:questions] NEW Public Stratum 1 NTP server (Portugal)

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:33:51 UTC 2011

2011/10/7 Miguel Gonçalves <mail at miguelgoncalves.com>:
> To give something back to the community I've set up a public stratum 1
> NTP server available at 213.228.178.55. The connection is an
> non-congested cable connection with plenty of bandwith for NTP.
>
> AFAIK, it is the first public stratum 1 NTP server available in Portugal.

Experience has shown that offering a stratum 1 server to the public
typically results in the server name or address ending up in
configurations that are sometimes not changed for years, whether or
not the NTP service is still offered.  With that in mind, I recommend
you publicize a DNS name rather than a specific IP address for your
service, so that you leave yourself options in the future.

Even so-called static IP addresses are forced to renumber into new
static addresses occasionally, particularly when providers are sold in
whole or in part.  You may want to change service providers someday,
or be forced to change due to moving to a new location.

I notice you're using miguelgoncalves.com for email. It should be
relatively routine for you or your DNS provider to point, for example,
ntp.miguelgoncalves.com to your current NTP service IP address.

Also, please take a look at

http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/join.html

You can join your server to the pool and begin seeing client traffic
automatically load balanced within a day or so, after the pool
monitoring system gains confidence in your service availability.  If
you are forced to renumber, the monitoring will take the automatic
traffic away before long, and you can schedule your IP address to be
removed entirely and add any replacement address.  Pool users are
instructed that it is rude to use server addresses obtained from the
pool in their configuration.  Not all pool users read or obey the
recommendation, but the intent is to allow operators to offer NTP
service without their addresses being likely to receive traffic for
many years after service is discontinued, as too often happens with
stratum 1 and stratum 2 servers listed on:

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/

Thanks for offering NTP,
Dave Hart