[ntp:questions] Atomized NMEA using second numbering from other server

Miguel Gonçalves mail at miguelgoncalves.com
Sat Oct 15 13:52:54 UTC 2011

On 15 October 2011 13:58, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at
tmsw.no"@ntp.org> wrote:
> Miguel Gonçalves wrote:
>> By the way, why are servers that use GPSi or PPSa as the refid? I
>> searched the archives and couldn't find an answer.
>
> The refid is an arbitrary set of up to 4 ascii characters, each driver has a
> default name, but this can be easily overridden:
>
> fudge x.x.x.x refid 'XYZ'

I know how to set it (it is explained in every ref clock driver page).
I was wondering why do people set the refid to GPSi instead of leaving
the default GPS.

Some more examples:

tick# ntpq -p ntp4.ja.net
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*GENERIC(0)      .DCFa.           0 l   58   64  377    0.000    0.064   0.716

tick# ntpq -p ntp1.rrze.uni-erlangen.de
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*GENERIC(0)      .DCFp.           0 l   11   16  376    0.000    0.001   0.002

Just wondering...

Cheers,
Miguel