[ntp:questions] garmin 18x and linux

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Tue Sep 6 17:38:22 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-06, Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> wrote:
> On 2011-09-06, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The OP has an observatory with automated computer controls.  I assume
>> an extra $30 to replace a GPS would not kill him.  Put the Garmin 18
>> on a boat.  That is it's best use.
>
> If you want to tell my supervisor why a perfectly good GPS needs to be
> thrown away and a new one purchased, go ahead.
>
> Where do I find the $30 dollar GPS with serial cable for the PPS
> signal?

Well, it is actually a $150 dollar unit. $30 for the unit, and $120 for
your time to solder a couple of wires across the board  to get the pps
out to the serial port and make a box to house the receiver :-)
 Example is the Sure unit
eg-- http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

> However, I'm perfectly happy with my GPS now that I've moved it to a
> place with better visibility.

I would keep an eye on ntpd to make sure that the .128 sec step
threshold does not get in your way.