[ntp:questions] Unable to synchronise meinberg ntp server to clients.

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 15 23:30:09 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-15, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2011, at 1:32 PM, David Woolley wrote:
>>> server 1.fi.pool.ntp.org minpoll 10 iburst
>>
>> The mistake most people make is setting minpoll too low.  This is too high.
>
> What's wrong with a minpoll of 10?
>
> I recall OS vendors shipping an ntp.conf using "minpoll 12 maxpoll 17"...

Well, if you do not care that you are never synchronized, I suppose it
does not matter. minpoll 12 means thatthe polling interval is 1 hr, and
since only one in 9 polls are kept (on average) this would mean 8 hours
per data point. And ntpd converges slowly, so it would be weeks before
your system had converged to the right time ( assuming you did not have
a crash or a shutdown before that). Ie, why in the world would anyone do
that?