[ntp:questions] Google and leap seconds

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Sep 21 21:03:20 UTC 2011

Bill wrote:
> Some operating systems (eg Linux) have the ability to do a much faster
> than 500PPM rate change (100000PPM in the case of Linux) but ntp does
> not make use of that.

... because it would violate the assumptions and rules about the loop
behavior (I'm painting with a wide brush here).  If you want a system
that is designed to work with a faster slew rate that's fine, but then
you also have to consider legacy and interoperability issues.

It also goes to timestamp correlation issues.