[ntp:questions] Loop Frequency and Offset

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Tue Sep 27 01:53:11 UTC 2011

In article <j5q79m$2u8$1 at dont-email.me>,
 David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> writes:
>Miguel Gon=E7alves wrote:

>> What is a typical offset of the loop without using special oscillators?
>> Is less than 1 us achievable?

>Depends on the network or reference clock, and the resolution to which
>the local clock can be read.

It also depends upon the stability of the local oscillator.

Inexpensive oscillators (as used in PCs or most servers) are
quite temperature sensitive.  The temperature in your box will
probably change as the load on the system changes or the room
temperature changes.

In fact, you can use a PC running ntpd as a thermometer.

This is good work and a fun read:
  NTP temperature compensation
  Mark Martinec, 2001-01-08
  http://www.ijs.si/time/temp-compensation/