[ntp:questions] Missing peer bug in 4.2.7p270

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Sat Apr 7 04:21:14 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 03:33, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> No error messages for DNS in the logs (grep for DNS, giving, host, lookup,
> resolve).  It would appear DNS worked but the peer simply vanished sometime
> during startup.
>
> Is there a pruning process that occurs if two identical IPs come through?
>  I'm wondering if two of the round-robin pool servers happened to deliver
> the same IP.

Duplicate IPs are indeed rejected for "server".  You may want to
investigate switching to "pool" commands from "server" for your pool
server needs.  "pool" spins up as many servers as needed to have
maxclock peers in the billboard (default 10).  Duplicate IPs cause it
to take longer to reach maxclock, but do not affect the ultimate
number of associations assuming enough non-duplicate addresses are
available.

Cheers,
Dave Hart