[ntp:questions] NTP on local networks

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:26:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Will Shackleford <shackle at nist.gov> wrote:

> The rubidium units I see on E-bay look like they were designed to go in a
> CD player. Would I need
> additional hardware to connect it to a computer and software to read it as
> a clock source?

There are other Rb units on eBay.

This one would be ideal.  It has a 1 pulse per second output
Item number: 300599635767

I have one of these.  It also has a pps out but that feature is
undocumented.  This is the one many people paid $40 for.  Seems demand as
had an effect on the price
Item number: 280905645392

There are many more like this.  You only need the PPS to keep the system
clock running at the correct rate.   These Rb units have an typeical error
at the 1E-11 level.  Good enough for your use.

> On 08/01/2012 01:24 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Kennedy, Paul<P.Kennedy at fugro.com.au>**
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Exactly so.  you can purchase a GPS receiver for well under $100 connect
>>> it to a serial port + pps on any of the pc's and have microsecond
>>> accuracy in a few hours.  This 'master' can then serve time to all other
>>> PC's.  The systems will then behave for years of unattended use.  It is
>>> a far more cost effective solution.
>>>
>>>  The OP said he can go into another room and connect to the Internet can
>> sync a computer.   It seems to me that there might be some rule that
>> prevents wires going into the room he works in, else why not simply run an
>> Ethernet cable.   Many places do have such rules.  He might work in a
>> place
>> where they process classified information.  In that case they might not
>> allow an antenna cable or any kind of wire to penetrate the room
>> boundaries.
>>
>> If I have guessed correctly then what he needs  is an atomic clock.  Buy a
>> few of those $40 Rubidium units that are on eBay
>>

>>  regards
>>> pk
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>> Chris Albertson