[ntp:questions] kernel pps

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Feb 8 17:45:09 UTC 2012

On 2012-01-19, Uwe Klein <uwe at klein-habertwedt.de> wrote:
> unruh wrote:

>>>Look at:
>>>http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Hardware/Microsecond_Precision_From_Garmin_18_LVC_GPS_unit_with_PPS_Signal_And_NTP
>>>

>> Thanks
>>

>>>Any help?
>>

>> Not really since I really do not want to recompile my kernel.  So It
>> looks like a need a kernel >2.6.34 I guess.
>>
> if you have a module named "core_pps" this should not be neccesary.
> what happens if you exec "modprobe core_pps" ( as root ) ?

I assume you mean pps_core, which I do have. Unfortunately nothing seems
to happen. If I try ldattach 18 /dev/ttyS0 ( and yes there is a ttyS0 )
I get an error message "ldattach: cannot set line discipline: Invalid
argument"
I have no idea which serial port modules I should have loaded. There is
no 8250 module, mentioned in some places. The serial port works so some
module, or some in kernel drivers are in place.