[ntp:questions] lots of GPS modules and info at SparkFun

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Thu Feb 9 08:10:39 UTC 2012

On 2/9/2012 1:34 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> While researching potential GPS modules to experiment with for PPS
>> output, I discovered that SparkFun has quite a lot of modules, some
>> of which have PPS and some of which don't.  You can't necessarily
>> tell from the product page.  You have to check the data sheet.  You
>> can go to their website and search for gps.  This link should also
>> work.  Just thought I'd pass it along.
>>
>> http://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=gps&what=products
>>
>> Here is one unit which does have PPS but it's not obvious from the
>> product page.  There are others as well.
>>
>> 12 Channel Copernicus II GPS Receiver - from Trimble -
>> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10922
>>
>> Here are the parts of a pretty cool article referenced on the
>> SparkFun site regarding interfacing to these type of modules.  About
>> 70 pages of info not counting the data logger article.
>>
>> http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/GPS.shtml
>> http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/GPS1.pdf
>> http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/GPS2.pdf
>> http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/GPS3.pdf
>> http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/GPS4.pdf
>> http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/GPSLogger.pdf
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Ron
>
> Thanks for the posting.  Yes, those look good, Ron, although for the
> same money you can get a ready-made, full board with puck antenna
> which works nicely with NTP:
>
>  http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm
>
> Cheers,
> David

Hi David,

I'm certainly considering that board.  It looks very attractive.  I'm
going to have to read over the documentation page you've put together.
It looks very comprehensive.

Chris Albertson said to get a unit which had:

      1) - a stationary mode, or possibly only a stationary mode
      2) - self survey
      3) - PPS
      4) - serial output
      5) - NTPD driver support

Now I know the Sure board has 3) and 4).  And I presume you can do 5)
through the generic NMEA driver.  However, do you know if it can do 1)
and 2)?  Actually, does it have native PPS, or are you adding it by
using the LED output?

Sincerely,

Ron