[ntp:questions] ntpd wedged again

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Thu Feb 9 13:04:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 03:47, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> The latest version is now compiled and running.  I'll let it go and see what
> happens over the next week.  Just as a point of reference, the system has
> been without ntpd (or any other clock discipline) for about three days and
> the clock was only off by about 1 millisecond when I started ntpd up again.
>  So it would appear that the system oscillator is reasonably stable and I
> don't have to be as concerned that it's doing something strange to cause the
> multi-second jumps.

Agreed.  Assuming the IPX is using the typical crystal oscillator and
not something temperature-controlled or compensated, it also indicates
that crystal has had remarkably stable temperatures over those three
days, and that the last run of ntpd ended with a well-honed frequency
correction for it to freewheel so accurately.

Cheers,
Dave Hart